For many years, paperboard has been widely used in different applications, like packaging, due to its inherent durability and flexibility. However, paperboards are not created equal, which is why it is critical to consider your packaging requirements, such as package design, supply chain, product fulfillment, and both production and retail environment. Taking into account these factors can help you determine and understand your packaging needs when choosing the most appropriate paperboard :
To help you get started, here are the four most common types of paperboard used in packaging:
● Folding Box Board – A multilayered paperboard that is widely popular in food and healthcare application. Tearing a folding box board will show the various layers utilized in production.
● Solid Bleached Board – This paperboard is also known as Solid Bleached Sulfate. Just like the folding box board, this bleached virgin fibre paper board is also utilized in food and healthcare applications. You can easily identify it by its white colour on both sides. Its smooth surface is ideal for printing.
● Coated Natural Kraft – It is also known as Solid Unbleached Sulfate. This type of paperboard is generally made from virgin fibres and longer softwood fibres that give this product a high tear strength. Because of its durability, it is often used in beverage and frozen food applications. Coated natural kraft is known for its white coating on one side and natural back side.
● Coated Recycled Board – Also referred to as a clay coated news, it is made mostly of recycled materials. This low-cost folding carton is used where direct food contact is not necessary and tear strength is not a key requirement.
Now that we know the different types of paper boards used in packaging, here are the factors to consider when choosing the right type of paper board:
● Thickness may not always mean durability. Many companies believe paper board with the highest grammage or thickness helps hold the weight of the product or protect it from damage, but it may not always be the right choice. When choosing a paperboard for packaging, go for the mechanical property of the product and dimension of the packaging.
● Go with virgin fibre paper board. Virgin fibre paper board is known for its toughness because it contains wood pulps that help strengthen the structure without any added harmful materials.
● Choose the right design. The design can make or break the packaging of the product. Choosing a custom paper board in Vaughan is an effective way to establish a good impression on your customers and deliver positive results in your marketing efforts. Also, choose virgin fibre paper if you want packaging material with a higher white point or if you are looking for a unique, irregular-shaped packaging with a lot of creases, go for paper boards with lower thickness.