A dental implant is one of the permanent ways of replacing missing teeth. However, dental implants are not maintenance free. Dental implants are intended to have a long life just like real teeth, hence the need for proper care and maintenance. With proper care, dental implants can endure your daily routines and serve you well. Some of the tips to maintain your dental implants from dentist in Oakville include:
1. Thorough Cleaning – Artificial teeth require thorough cleaning on a daily basis. This ensures that no bacteria and plaques attack the microscopic spaces between the gum or bone and the dental implant. This reduces the risk of getting affected by the periodontal disease that affects natural teeth and can destabilize dental implants as well.
2. Preventing Gum Disease – Making routine visits to your Oakville dentist can help you take care of your dental implants. Gum disease can cause holes, gaps and pockets around your dental implants. These gaps and spaces can adversely destabilize your dental implant and can lead to the removal of the implant. Attentive oral hygiene and dental care is key to keeping off gum disease.
3. Avoiding Force Exertion – Your dental implants, just like your natural teeth, are vulnerable to stress. Using your dental implants to do force exerting activities like opening soft drinks bottles can damage your implants. Also, night clenching, excessive biting force, or even an accidental mouth injury can weaken your dental implant and the supporting bone.
4. Ensuring Overall Health – Having a healthy body gives you not only extended life benefits but also has a positive impact on both your natural and artificial teeth. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will reduce the risk if getting chronic diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. If uncontrolled, these chronic illnesses can increase the risk of getting infected with gum disease that adversely affects your dental implants stability.
5. Regular Dental Checkups – After your dental implant surgery, it is advisable to check with your Oakville dentist how often you should visit them. Depending on your oral hygiene and overall health, you may be recommended to visit your dentist in Oakville after every three months. However, in severe and extraordinary cases, visiting a dentist more often is recommended.
6. Avoid Drugs – Teeth implants like natural teeth are prone to the effects of drug and substance intake. Heavy smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can adversely affect both your natural teeth and artificial implants. Substance use increases the chances of plaque formation which leads to gum diseases. Proper cleaning is required for long-lasting dental implants.
Taking care of your dental implants need not to be hectic. Following the routine maintenance of your natural teeth, gives excellent results for both artificial and natural teeth. Your dentist can add to the life of your dental implant positively. This can be through evaluations and reviews to ensure there are no complications with your dental implants.